About District Council
The District Council is the governing body of the District and conducts all the business of the District. District Council members discuss and vote on District business.
Notice of Meetings
The district must provide notice of these meetings four weeks in advance. However, a district should include the dates of the council meetings and conferences on the district Web site, in the first mailings to clubs and in all mailings to club and district officers during the year.
Voting members of the District Council:
- District Executive Committee
- District Director
- Program Quality Director
- Club Growth Director
- Public Relations Manager
- Administration Manager
- Finance Manager
- Division Directors
- Area Directors
- Immediate Past District Director.)
- Club President and Vice President Education of each member Club in the District.
Committee chairmen and others whose participation the council requires may attend its meetings. Toastmasters attending the district conference, who are not voting members of the council, or their proxies, may attend but not participate in council deliberations.
Frequency of Meetings
The district council is required to hold at least two meetings each year. The first required meeting must be held after the International Convention and no later than December 1. The second required meeting is the district council annual meeting and must be held between March 15 and June 1.
A quorum is one-third of the club presidents and vice presidents education from member clubs in good standing in the district.
What if a quorum is not present?
- If any business is transacted at a meeting where a quorum is not present, the action taken is deemed valid, provided it is later expressly approved in writing by the affirmative vote of a majority of district clubs on the basis of two votes per club.
- Send a mailing to all clubs as soon as possible after the meeting so that affirmation can be obtained within a reasonable time.